View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 01:43 PM   #16
hewittca

Re: 73-87 Development/Concept Photos

Development, Part 2

I tried to find some photos on the development of the midcylce refresh that GM did on these trucks in 1981, but unfortunately the GM Heritage Center did not have anything from this time period. The only thing they were able to find were some extra photos on the development of the original design for '73. Some of these have been shared before on 73-87.com, and some are new. These pick up after the last photo from Part 1 posted above.

-November 1969
By this time, GM was focusing on the later design proposal for the next generation C10 after abandoning the early design. Up to this point, the third generation C10 was labeled as a '72, but GM pushed back the release and subsequent concepts were labeled as a '73 model. The first concept drawing shares similarities with the clay model from August '69 with some variations. The second drawing appears to mostly be a styling exercise as it does not share any similarities with the working model at the time. It is an interesting design, however, and I think it draws on styling ques from the first generation C10.

-December 1969
By the end of '69, GM had mostly settled on the overall design of the '73 truck, and was sorting out several smaller design elements. You will notice here that the interesting lower body line from the earlier concept is gone in favor of a more subtle body line. They were also prototyping a more curved windshield design and a split grill treatment.

-January 1970
This clay model is the same one from the last photo in Dec '69 with a few more details modeled out, and even a proposed SS option! Note the Ford in the studio for comparison.

-February 1970
At this point, GM decided to go with a more traditional grill and give up on the split grill design for the Chevrolet. The interesting thing to note here is the hood/cowl design which did not make it to production.

-March 1970
Although GM gave up on the split grill for the Chevrolet, it was still being proposed for the GMC. We now know it wouldn't make it to production, but it was an interesting variation that would have made the GMC more distinct from the Chevy. I also think it would have made a more logical evolution of the GMC to follow the grill design of the 67-72 GMC, but who am I to make these decisions. Also notice the "Upfront" license plates. Throughout this entire photo set, you will notice references to the "Upfront 70's". It appears this may have been some sort of inspirational design vision or proposed advertisement direction, but I could not find any outside reference to this.

-July 1970
This clay model outside for presentation is very close to the final production design. You will notice several differences like the body line around the wheel openings, different marker light position, and the extra lights below the rear window.

-October 1970
These last photos draw on the Upfront 70's vision with some proposed paint schemes. Notice the interesting double side trim in the first photo.

At this point, that's all I have for the development of the 73-87 pickups. I will, however, continue to search for anything on the '81 refresh since that is an important element to the development of these trucks.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread

Last edited by hewittca; 03-23-2017 at 01:56 PM.
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote