View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
sevt_chevelle
Lost amongst the CORN

Re: What's hiding in the tool box part two

Porter Ferguson GD-3. The great thing about P-F tools is that they all have a recess where the Porter Ferguson name and part number is forged right into the tool. The recess is in the red and just says P-F GD-3. Porter Ferguson calls this dolly a high crown dolly and the cutout is for reshaping wheel well lips or where metal curves up around on wireless fender flanges.

Porter Ferguson GD-2 high crown dolly bumping dolly.

New Britain DB-8 from 1950’s era. New Britain is a Stanley tools brand of tools and as you can see this DB-8 looks exactly like the Porter Ferguson GD-2 dolly.

New Britain DB-8 dolly. Just another NOS dolly I’ll never use, simply too nice to use. I believe Streamline or a company called Majestic now makes Porter Ferguson inspired dollies.

Porter Ferguson GD-4 heavy bumping dolly. Unfortunately, some idiot cut the dolly on the left in half. This dolly is a heavy awkward dolly but I’ve found it to be very useful because of the weight and the large working surfaces. When I need to drive out a dent this is the dolly I reach for. Also a somewhat hard to find dolly and typically commands a high premium.

Compared to a regular sized dolly, the P-F is no light weight dolly weighing in at around 6lbs versus the smaller 2lb dolly.

A variation of the comma dollies shown above, these are known as thin comma dollies. The top dolly is P-F and the bottom is a Pexto. Useful dolly to wedge under a brace when your hand and regular dolly won’t fit. Martin currently sells a dolly much like the Pexto under number 1065.

Porter Ferguson GD-5 shrinking dolly on the left. You use a special shaped hammer and the groove in the dolly to create a valley in the sheet metal. Although a crude method, the valley formed tightens up the panel effectively shrinking the panel.

Porter Ferguson shrinking dolly with special hammer. The end of the hammer fits into the dolly’s groove which creates the valley. The hammer would be something similar to the Plomb 1426 barrel end hammer shown above.

70 Chevelle gettin Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
70 Chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
49 and 72 Chevy Trucks restored to original...close to it
Drommer Stor....Norwegian for Dream Big

http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/a...lle/?start=all

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47922830@N03/
Pictures of my work and projects
sevt_chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote