View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 08:30 AM   #12
47 Fasttoys

Re: Francis the Tow Pig - 1949 GMC 250 Dually

Great looking truck. The 6.0 / 4l80e are an excellent choice. My 2 cents worth: Sit back and wright down what you want in a finished tuck. Show truck, work truck, daily driver' week-end driver? All can be accomplished but all take a little different approach. If you want it ready to go at any time and do some medium duty work, look at upgrading everything with proven components. If you change your mind a 10 times you change your budget 10 times. A lot of folks have great intentions and motivation at the beginning but burn out when the results are slow in coming. My experiences show it takes about a year of time consuming work (say 20 hours a week) to get one of these things right. From what I see you have a very solid truck to begin with.. You may want to look into a modern chassis swap. I would not look at the S-10 route for a larger truck. If you want to do some work with it you need at least a 1500 chassis a 2500 or 3500 are not out of the question. The parts are available to lower the larger chassis to a mild extent and still be able to get some work out them. Be cautious on over doing your mods and you will end up with a cool ride to later pass down to your child and so on.
Good luck.
Rob