View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 02:16 AM   #100
Mike_82_Shortbox

Re: 2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
My Evil Plan worked! By loosening the u bolts and pulling the dr's side back while pushing the passenger side forward I was able to set the thrust angle at 06' (dr's= 03' pass= -10'), which is inside my self imposed -01' to 01' Specified Range and well within the -20' to 20' Specific Range I found on several GM vehicles. Now that the rear is set I can move onto the front for rear More on that after I eat dinner
Nick,

Many years ago I was working at a Goodyear shop (I used to be an ASE certified Master Auto Technician), and a big four-wheel-drive Ford truck came in with horrible wheel alignment. The thing was so big it wouldn't fit on the alignment machine, and so we were reduced to aligning it with tape measures.

With the rear axle, we did pretty much exactly what you did, which was loosen up the U-bolts and slide the axle back and forth until we had the parallel and cross frame measurements within about a 16th of an inch. Many leaf spring locator pads have a pin to positively locate the spring to the axle, but fortunately this one didn't, and if it did, we would have ground it off.

We couldn't measure the results of our efforts, but the before-and-after drive results were a world of difference away.
Mike_82_Shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote