View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 01:29 PM   #78
Snake72

Re: Grandpa's 72 restoration

Got the quadrajet rebuilt with help from Cliff's book and his rebuild kit (very very good kit). All went great except for rebushing the primary throttle shaft, mine was horribly sloppy. To do this, you need to grind off the ends of the tiny staked screws that hold the flaps on the throttle shaft in order to remove the shaft and drill out the holes to drive in new bushings. Must not have ground enough material off of one screw and the screw head twisted off. No biggie, drilled it out (amazingly straight actually) and re tapped the hole with 4-40 instead of the original 3-48 screw threads. Reassembled perfect.

Second problem, to remove the primary throttle shaft you also have to remove the secondary shaft at the same time and slide them out together due to linkages and such, at least that's how I understood it. To remove the secondary shaft you need to punch out the secondary shaft lockout pin. I tried heat, kroil, swearing, and a BFH, all to no avail. Cut the pin ends off and drilled it out too, replaced with a slightly tapered hardened pin and epoxied into place. Other than those two issues this is a very DIY job and not so terrifying, just had to go slow, take a lot of pics, and follow Cliffs book. I did have not done any fine choke or fast idle adjustments yet, will do that when mounting carb.

Hope it runs!!
Attached Images

Snake72 is offline   Reply With Quote