View Single Post
Old 12-07-2016, 11:49 AM   #300
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Polar Bear Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Larry, I was directed to your build while searching for answers in Crocky125 thread about parking brakes. Looking at your pics of the 9.5" semi-float rear you had in the Suburban, the parking brake cable for the passenger side enters the backing plate on the rear side of the axle tube. On the 14FF you installed, the passenger side cable enters the backing on the front side of the baking plate. My questions are: 1. Was the cable for the semi-float original to your Burb? 2.Did you use the same cable on the Full float as was on the semi-float?

I swapped in a 1999 14FF with 13"slip on drums into my 1986 K10 and I am having a little trouble with the parking brake hanging up on my passenger side. Not sure yet if it my cable routing, the way a connected it to my system of if it is the cable I purchased to use. Just looking for resources and/or options.
You’re right, on the original semi floater the brake cable enters the backing plate from the rear on the pass side and front on the driver’s side (the backing plates are symmetrical where they are the same part number for both sides). On the 10.5” 14FF with the 84 and later push in type cable, the cable enters the backing plate on the front on both sides.

The 99 axle could have entirely different backing plates being it is from a newer body style than what I have but if it helps, below are the Napa park brake cable part numbers I used on the Polar Bear. If I recall correctly, I used an 89 R2500 (2wd) w/7.4L as the application as those came factory with 10.5” 14FF’s and was a direct plug and play for my Burb. Might not be the case on your truck with a later body style axle. You could look at other 1 ton trucks and van's with 14FF and look at their dimensions to see if they would fit your K10 better than the part numbers below. There are few different lengths of cables out there for the 84 and later 14FF's.

93253 Parking Brake Cable - Left Rear, 55.5; Rear Left
93254 Parking Brake Cable - Right Rear, 77.81; Rear Right

You can barely see here where the passenger’s side cable crosses the axle and is tied to the top pinion bolt with a p-clamp. That is the way the 2wd Suburban’s with full floaters were routed….at least the one I saw at the boneyard anyway.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote