View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #22
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: 1968 chevrolet truck power steering conversion

poway,the ram assist is a 67 only option.Later years used the power box.Yours may have been updated,installed by a dealer or on a 67 frame.Lots of possibilities.I'm not sure about the pump but GM wasn't one to redesign the mousetrap so I assume(keep in mind this is a guess) that the pump/brackets are the same as for a power gearbox.IIRC You will need the correct year pitan arm for the year model.You will probably need new hoses.The PS gearboxes up to about 1986 work,later ones are 3 1/2 turns lock to lock,earlier are 4 1/2 and seem mushy(my opinion) to me.The nut looking fitting on the back of the pump,that the large hose goes into is replaceable and can be used from a later pump.This may allow you to run factory hoses if you use parts all from the same year.Any hydralic shop should also be able to make hoses to fit your application.
Check your frame,where the gearbox mounts for an indention for clearance,you'll need to heat the frame and dimple it for the pitman shaft if it's not dimpled.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote