Thread: 400/406 Builds
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #20
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: 400/406 Builds

Have you 'seen' the flat tops,, with a 11cc D-Dish the camelhumps are a lot more pump gas friendly and in line with what the mechanic stated. Also as a FYI, the AFR227's require a $1100 shaft rocker system. The 180-210 'can use' the standard stud rocker, but even then you have geometry issues. AFR is a GREAT head, but the 220's and 227's are a bit misrepresented on the car rags stsing "accepts standard SBC rocker components" Accepts and "right' is two totally seperate things there

That said

One of my favorite 406's we built with a MAJOR budget. Stock 511 block, good machine work to get it straight, square and true bores
Used a Stock GM 400 crank
5.7" rods and some cheep KB Hyperetectic flat tops
Comp XE284 hydraulic flat tappet cam (this was back when oil was oil and not crap)
Set of used Edelbrock 170cc E-tec vortec heads
Vortec RPM airGap
Prosystems 780cfm carb
1-5/8" Supercomps and Dynomax mufflers

He ran a Hughes street TH350 and B&M 3500 converter
4.10 gears and (at the track) a set of 26.5x 9" slicks

He 'almost' hit 10's in 3000' air (11.15 @ 120ish) Was in a light chassis but damn impressive for less than $3000 he had in it... well until it detonated and one of those hyper-u-cracked-it pistons turned to sand and or the stock block went BOOM!

But until then,, it was quite impressive
http://www.small-block-chevy.com/dana1.JPG

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote