View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 02:36 PM   #3
seattle gmc

Re: Is limited slip or a locker worth it for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Man View Post
You want a limited slip, having a locker in the snow is not exactly fun especially with no front drive axle to help pull along. As far as installing, it is pretty involved I do not remember if you have to check backlash on the gearset because you are reusing the same gear set and using the same shims on both sides (I would check to be sure). I think the carrier will be ok as limited slips come in ratio's as low as 3.08. My 81 has a detroit locker in the back and a true trac posi in the front. I have had my rig in the snow once and I had to BABY it around corners in 2wd so it would not come around on me once in 4wd it was a ton better, so add a posi for your application.

Adding a posi will probably cost around 800-1000$ depending on who does the work, the posi itself is about 450$. Traction adders and gears are not cheap and require a skilled person to install properly, the rear end will eat itself very quickly if not installed properly.

Also, I find it odd how your truck is a z71 2wd and doesn't even have a posi in the back strange.
Are you saying its odd, because the Z71 should have limited slip? What can I do to know for sure if the rear diff is open or not? Im assuming its open because I'm only getting one wheel spinning when the rear end breaks loose (going up steep Seattle hills wet with rain and stomping on it, or holding the break and stomping on it). I called Randy's ring and pinion and they said it would be 1200-1300$ for everything out the door.

Lets say I pay the 1200-1300$ is it worth the price. In the end its still a 2wd truck. So would I be wasting money or would I get a noticeable benefit?

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500HD Classic
seattle gmc is offline   Reply With Quote