View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #18
A1971Blazer

Re: Opinions on best brake flaring tool and bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardworkinguy View Post
I have never seen any inspection laws that specify one over the other. In some states,people use compression fittings to join brake lines together!

The reason for single flare versus double flare is due to the type of tube and how it is manufactured. A standard steel brake line starts out as a flat piece of steel. It is rolled into a tube and electro-welded (brazed?) and then finished smooth on the outside,but there is still a seam on the inside. The double flaring process allows the smooth outside of the tube to be folded over and become the sealing surface of the flare. A single flare would cause a leak where the seam is.

The stainless steel tube is seamless tubing,and does not require the double flare. It does require a tube sleeve and a tube nut for the connection.

You are correct-the other link was for 45º single flares. That should not be used for brake lines. Rigid makes both,but I don't know of any automotive use for single 45º flares.
I was repairing the brake line on my old firewood truck....I went to Napa to get a section of tube and a compression fitting to put it together.....when I went to pay the guy says " I can't sell you a piece of tubing and compression fittings"....

so I bought the tube....went out to my truck....came back in and bought the compression fittings....silly? yes but that was Napa's rule....

Normally I would never do this anyway....but that truck was never on the road...I didn't even have tags and insurance on it.

When I bought my current K/5...someone had jury rigged the rear brake lines and there was a compression fitting on the main tube above the axle....it was leaking so I bought some tubing and some of the coli spring shield material and made all new lines....along with a new line going all the way up front to the first connection....that's when I bought the Eastwood tool and made the tube straightener...
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote