View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #19
BMERDOC

Re: 2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments

A funny thing happened on the way to the Alignment machine...
I was now set to adjust the front. I wanted to set camber at -1.00 and camber as far back as would make safe sense for the space between the cross shaft and frame while still leaving enough threads on the bolts. I called up NAPA, my favorite parts people, for a "shim kit". Turns out they sell shims seperately and not in a kit! Dang! What to do? I couldn't run out to buy the shims to correct this alignment knowing that the truck would come off the rack to immediately be lowered only to have to reshim it. So I deceided to remove all shims to see what it looked like with no shims in it. I have included a picture of the print out. It seemed like a good base line to me. Please note that this is MY truck's results and results may vary. Notice the left camber "Actual" angle, -0*23'? Right side is -1*55'. I think I should have at least made the toe "green" to see the affects. If you look at the toe specs before and after, positive toe was pushed negative as camber went negative.

***NOTE*** This is the best reason you want an alignment after lowering!!! Negative camber is added and causes the toe to push out. Remember, negative camber is better than having toe too positive or negative because toe "scrubs" the tire, dragging it sideways. If toe is good camber is less crucial.
Nothing exciting to mention about caster except that I drove it around the parking lot after this alignment session and noted that there was almost NO return to center.
I lowered the front of the truck tonight so I will align it again and buy the proper shims from NAPA to gain the angles I'm looking for. I'm also looking over the "Make it Handle" thread to see if I can find any info on counter-acting bumpsteer. If your watching stay tuned!!
Attached Images

2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote