View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 02:01 PM   #20
SpicedIcePirate

Re: How To Restore Original Paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
It would help if we could see a picture of your truck so we know what you are starting with... Here is a picture of my Hugger Orange Longhorn with original paint the day I brought it home. The paint wasn't too bad on my truck because it was never driven in snow and never left outside overnight. With that being said it was a work truck since day one and I doubt it was waxed much, if ever. The paint was a little more faded than the first pic shows. I gave my truck a good bath and dried it off. I then used Meguiar's fine Ultimate rubbing compound with my Dewalt buffer. It came out pretty good. I then followed up using Meguiar's mirror glaze by hand with microfiber towels.. If you don't have much experience I would be very hesitant to wet sand as the paint is pretty thin. Also be very careful around sharp edge's as the paint is very thin! Practice lots of patience.. I often get people that can't believe its still the original paint, but it is...

Loving the Longhorn, if I have another one that isn't the '69 of the same colour that the guy I bought mine from also has, I'd like it to be a longhorn.

I see the criticism of "you can't have it both ways". No wax, and shine, While this is very true I should have been more clear. I would like to not use wax to begin with as I want to clear coat it over the patina and such at some point, to preserve it, because with that I know I'll be able to get whatever finish I want. But if I can make it look good enough without clear coat, life will be much better.