View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #12
BarryB

Re: Help before I go crazy. 99 suburban 5.7 vortec wont start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70BLAZERX2 View Post
do you have the air cleaner and air flow meter hooked up on it?

just thinking of what it could be..
Yes I have it hooked up somewhat, Its plugged in, and such but not buttoned down completely, it still should at least tried to hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwood View Post
I would double check the distributor again, you probably already know that it can be installed 180 degrees out as the timing marks on the balancer will line up on the compression and exhaust stroke, you should be on the compression. Also, when the balancer marks are lined up on the compression stroke, you stab the dist and line up the rotor with the small triangle (should have a 8 stamped in it) in the base of the dist. Here is a post with picks: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...ighlight=P1345 Also note that your timing is not adjustable on these engines. Moving the distributor around changes the cam timing. Even with the cam timing off a tooth or so the engine will still start, it just may run poorly and set the engine light with a P1345.

If the dist is good, you can check the plugs to see if they have fuel on them to see if you are getting the injectors to fire. You could also use a small spray of starting fluid to see if it starts. If so, your issue would be more than likely fuel related.
I've had the dist. out numerous times resetting it all with the tiiming tab. I'll double check it again. The dist. was recently installed. It doesn't have a 1000 miles on it. I'm getting spark to the plugs. I had #1 out and grounded it was sparking. I pulled out #2 there was some fuel on the plug. Didn't look like enough to foul it out though. I haven't squirted any ether down it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lb4x4 View Post
You swapped engines before troubleshooting? Wow.
You might want to see if you have spark at the plug.
Yeah Hind sight, I know. It wouldn't start before I did try a couple of things, but didn't do to much since the PO told me his mecahnic said it had jumped time. the motor had 250k on it so I didn't give it much thought. I decided to pull the timing cover last night on the old motor, It lined right up dot to dot. So his mechanic was wrong.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote