View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 06:43 PM   #87
rfmaster

Re: Tbi swap build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
I have a few of those EFI hose clamps left over. The cheap Chinese hose claims I found at Autozone and Checker scared me as they were so flimsy so I wound up buy a box full from Napa. I’ll email you a few...
I second this as well - worst yet the garbage Chinese made hose clamps are prone to rust through - I had several fail before. A while back I took the failed clamps to my failure analysis engineer for failure analysis. He told me that they used 'pot' steel and cheap cadmium plating to make it look shiny. Once the set screw striped off surface plating rust started immediately. It's a good thing we found in time during our annual maintenance cycle. End up getting some Ideal clamps - these are wider (5/16") than normal hose clamps and have beveled edges and solid clamping face that does not bite into the rubber hose. Look for them in specialty industrial supply places or online.
http://www.autobarn.net/iddifuincl.html
If you are really serious (or paranoia) - use marine grade 304SS clamps - but these are very expensive for automotive use and will last a long time!

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote