View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #73
chevybuilder18

Re: static dropped square bodies with 15s

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbert View Post
There really is no "right" way to lower your truck, but there are lots of "wrong" ways. Heating is always bad for several reasons. They'll never be as hard as they were, and will sag. Even if you just heat them a little bit, they will eventually collapse. Those bolt on compressor things are junk and likely won't fit.

For a cheap fix use a sawzall or cutoff wheel and cut one coil off. Go slow so it doesn't get too hot. One coil generally nets about 2", but changes the spring rate and will be slightly stiffer. It will not sag or settle over time, esp if you cut factory springs that have been carrying the weight of the truck for 30 years. Seems that some guys have cut 2 coils off, I've never done that much but it must work because people do it.

Somewhere on this board I've seen a guide to lowering for "free". It involved cutting a round off the coils and relocating the leaf hangers on the frame. Free is a little miss leading because there will be probably $50 in nuts and bolts for the frame, sawzall blades, grinding disks, but it's relatively inexpensive nonetheless and seems like it would produce good results.

EDIT: I guess it's not really miss leading at all.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post3356075

He mentions the bolts, and the time it takes to get the hangers off. I'd expect the same amount of work to be required for putting on aftermarket hangers though.
couldnt find the relocation bolt holes on my truck. are the covered by the spring knuckles/hangers?
chevybuilder18 is offline   Reply With Quote