View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #26
DanSaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetsidelarry View Post
DanSaco, maybe I missed something above so correct me if I did.

You're asking about converter lockup/unlock NOT kickdown (i.e. shifting from 4th down to 3rd), right?

First, my understanding is that cable adjustment doesn't control lockup. It IS critical, as others have noted and you may have known already, to proper control of the internal pressures and shifting.

Just to clarify, when you say "factory linkage bracket" are you referring to the linkage on the side of the carburetor? Forgive me if you already know but I ask because some people think the bracket holding the tv cable is what needs changing (from one of your posts: "Not 100%, I've adjusted it a couple times to try to get it as good as I can. I'm going to buy the aftermarket bracket to move the back end of it to try to make it better. But that's been in the back of my head too") but, in fact, it is the one on the side of the carb. the Edelbrock geometry isn't correct and you can't properly adjust the cable without fixing it.

I believe the Bowtie kit will require you to pull the pan to install a spring, mine did. Maybe they sell just the geometry corrector. other sources do

Don't know exactly what you did to test it when you hooked manifold vacuum to it but the way the vacuum switch operates is to unlock the converter when vacuum drops during rapid throttle application by breaking the electrical circuit to the converter.
the problem is with lockup/unlock. When I drive it it won't unlock, it shifts all the way up to fourth gear but stays stuck there, it makes a faint vibration and gets very hot very quickly. I don't know why not going into overdrive would create this condition, it seems like I should be able to just drive in fourth, but the transmission doesn't like it one bit. So, I became convinced that the TV cable adjustment is the culprit, or at least that I need to address it. Someone said that if the pressure isn't right then the tcc can't work. Couldn't find the bow tie overdrives part, still can't, so I bought an aftermarket throttle bracket kit that said it would also work with 700r4. Just spent an hour removing the factory bracket and attempting to install the new bracket, but it will not work with the tv cable. The included tab for the tv cable can't be bolted to the bracket because it interferes with the push button part. So
I'm back to square one. Bow tie overdrives has instructions to install their kit, but I couldn't find the kit anywhere. Their site leaves a little to be desired.
So are you telling me that the tv cable can be, or cannot be the problem?
Posted via Mobile Device
DanSaco is offline   Reply With Quote