Thread: NP435 questions
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2019, 12:18 AM   #23
Dave64

Quote:
Originally Posted by weim55 View Post
I have an old-school manual transmission rebuilder-shop near me that has a large stock of good used parts. I’ll give them a call on Monday and see if they have what you need. Help me understand what you mean by the input housing, Is this the input bearing assembly you speak of (?) , The input retainer that the release bearing slides back-and-forth on (?)

Steve weim55 Colorado
Steve. Yes, the input shaft (some call it the main clutch drive shaft) runs inside the input shaft housing which is bolted to the front of the main transmission case with 4 studs ,supported by a bearing and seal within said housing. The clutch throw out bearing slides back and forth operated by the throw out lever. The confusion comes from some manuals saying that the input shaft is supported by a roller race, others are saying a tapered roller bearing. I have all the actual input shaft measurements here somewhere, spline count 10 spline X one and one eighth inch diameter, pilot tip diameter of 0.590 inch,pilot tip length of one inch, stick out from face of transmission case to tip of pilot at 6.62 inch The input shaft housing where the clutch throw out bearing ( or thrust race) slides, has an outside diameter of 1.373 inch, doesn’t give the length though. I have an input shaft housing to suit the above sized TAPERED roller bearing, but which is a different bearing housing to the roller race version. That’s the best way I can describe it. If you could ring your contact and let me know on here, would be much appreciated. I was also given an original Chev part number, but whoever posted them gives the input tooth count as 21 tooth, the Chev tooth count should be 22 tooth, to suit a 38 tooth countershaft main drive. Thanks Dave64
Posted via Mobile Device
Dave64 is offline   Reply With Quote