View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #18
clinebarger

Re: Duramax 6 speed MANUAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinpcranch View Post
Yeah I have put a transmission and clutch in my Duramax. I bought a used truck that hasn't seen an easy life either. Having a local transmission parts warehouse where I'm able to get parts and do the work my self makes for a cheap rebuild. I personally haven't seen an Allison make it that many miles yet but that don't mean they aren't out there. All the autos I have seem to live about a 150-190K turbo400, 4L60E, and a 4L80E . I just like having a mechanical coupler between the engine and transmission rather than a fluid coupler. For when hay season is in full swing it's nice having a truck that will pull it's self and a load up an incline with out any throttle in 2 high while I'm stacking square bales. I can just have my niece steer and not worrie about getting thrown off the trailer.but to each his own. I don't quite believe that the ZF6 is a throwaway since I know of several ford guys that have rebuilt theirs, but a ford is different to a GM. Luckly a few parts do interchange. But may I ask Why do you think a ZF6 is a throw away if you don't mind me asking?
Million Mile Duramax/Allison.
http://www.mlive.com/business/mid-mi...erado_pas.html

I can understand you NEED a manual with a "granny" low to do your job.

Rebuilding a ZF-6 requires about $1500 in tools alone & you have to know what your doing, If you need hard parts like gears, shafts or shift forks.... this will easily exceed what a Genuine ZF reman cost.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote