View Single Post
Old 04-12-2015, 11:00 PM   #19
iowaboynca

Re: "1950 GMC" -Charlotte

Just a brief update on Charlotte.
The Hobart showed up earlier this week so what am going to do with this? Weld of course, but how am I going to move it around and what not? I need a welder cart. So I'm at a big box store buying landscaping bricks with the wife, about to buy some angle iron, when the wife says, "why don't you use that old bed frame that's under the shelves in the garage?" Say that's a good idea...

So I spent the large part of the weekend cutting up the frame, putting it together with my new welder and putting on the finishing touches, like hooks for cords and hoses and some wood and paint. I did realize a couple of things while i was putting it together.

1. Its been a while since i've welded! In the end it started coming back to me but i'm going to need some practice but I already knew that. I was planning to reach out to the local steel company to see if i can buy some cut-offs and scrap to practice with, so no big surprise.

2. It was as fun as i remembered! I couple of times, i had to catch myself from saying, "I'm sure there's other stuff around here that needs welding..."

So at the end of the weekend i have one assembled welder cart from an old bed frame. I painted it red, because growing up we were an IH family and i thought it would look good. I stained the wood, because well i could. It only took me about 30 minutes in between coats on the cart. I even thought ahead and left room for the future bottle that i will need. Just using flux core for now.

That and I got a chance to dig out the rats nest of a wiring harness and all the old gauges. The only thing left in the cab are all the odds and ends, nuts and bolts.

Last but not least, my mustang x-member came in from Paul Hortons and it looks good. I'll provide pictures when its ready to get worked on.
Attached Images