View Single Post
Old 06-25-2018, 06:16 PM   #11
66-GMC

Re: 66 GMC C1000 front wheel hubs (Please)

I'm the 2nd owner of my '66 GMC (since 1998). I never knew the model and mistakenly said it was a K1000. My first vehicle was a '66 Chevy C10 shortbed but I never knew its GMC counterpart. I must have gotten the K1000 from Rock Auto when ordering parts.

The reason I mentioned it's history is to explain the how problem could be a factory caused issue on such an old truck (but only 61,000 miles though). It was the factory rivets, not over tightened bolts, that caused the wheel hubs to warp (bend). They were so overdone that they bent the wheel bearing hub (yes, the same thick part of the wheel hub that the 6 lug studs are attached which sounds a little crazy I know). It had to have been done by the factory because once the rivets are removed, as you all know, there's no reason to ever redo them. I always wondered why the wheels got so hot and why I was going through shoes so quickly. When I tried to have the drums turned and found out they couldn't because they were warped, everything became crystal clear.

Unable to find replacement wheel hubs, my truck has been left to sit with only occasional attention to keep it maintained over the past 15 years or so and that's why my memory was a little hazy.

Anyways, that's where it sits today and why I need wheel bearing hubs for both front wheels. I already have new drums, shoes and everything else. I didn't have time to take it apart to take photos but I'll do it as soon as I can ...if for no other reason than to show how bizarre it is!
66-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote