View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 03:46 AM   #18
Devillusion

Re: Raising Cain: Crewcab shortbox build

Floors got all scuffed, cleaned and given a couple coats of chassis black.

Then a layer of Second Skin vibration dampner from top of firewall all the way back.

Then did some searching around for a readily available and affordable foam for under the carpet and to replace the old dusty/crusty firewall insulation. I have purchased the "replacement" piece from LMC and was not happy with it at all....used it on the 2wd project and it will now be coming back out. Was a complete waste of money.
This stuff I picked up at Home Depot worked out perfect, and is a dream to work with. Very plyable around difficult angles and contours with minimal cutting to make it conform. It is originally made for household under carpet lay. Has voided underside which in my mind will work great for making sure things dry out under there if they ever get damp, and looks very simular to the closed cell style sound dampner product sold at some places. Regardless it gets rid of that dust and water holding crap from the factory and looks a million times better installed. Only a quarter of the way done will get more pics up once I get some more spray glue.
Used 3M general spray adhesive on both sides and trim where necassary to aquire proper fitment. Waited 15 minutes for glue to tack and applied with great success. These floors are among the worst to get something to contour to. On the outer edges I took a scrub/cleaning disc on my die grinder and tapered the edge so that when the carpet is installed it won't leave a nasty line/edge. Will be duct taping the seams and edge to be sure of a decent seal from water etc.

Will be using this stuff on other projects in the future....as for sound dampning performace...that will have to be seen when the truck is on the road, but regardless it works as insulation at a minimum and is a clean look when done.
1970 Chevelle
1968 Biscayne 2dr post

"...there is no excuse for what I am about to do, but dangit....it's gonna be fun!"
Devillusion is offline   Reply With Quote