View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 11:50 PM   #25
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: BROWN WHITE Striped wire from the Ignition switch Burnt what can cause this?

.................................................................................................... ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72blazerblue View Post
I have searched and searched but could not find the answer I am looking for, so I am digging up this thread for y'alls expertise!

I have a 1967 c10 (Idiot light cluster). I just wired in a new ignition switch for it.
This truck obviously did not have ACC from the factory, the new switch has the ACC wire on the plug though.

It shows in the post I made above with the diagram of the ley switch and the wiring to the fuse panel. I have a 67 and it does not have the ACC either. The PO has scabbed in a bunch of wires to the switched which I will have to straighten out.

1. Do I still hook the brown/white striped wire to the small brown wire coming from the ACC on the new connector?

Yes you will have to connect the brown/white wire with the LARGE 12 gauge brown wire which goes to the fuse panel. They should connect to the ACC terminal on the new switch and then are run to the fuse panel. They probably already do because the large brown wire is connected to the red battery wire when the key is on ign and run. The large brown wire carries power to the fuse panel for the wipers and the turn/hazard flashers. Also the heater fan.

It connects to the back of the fuse panel which you can't see unless you pull the two small screws on the fuse panel and move it away from the floorboard.

The brown/white small wire does not go to the fuse panel, it goes through the firewall block to the 16 gauge solid brown wire on the engine side and that runs to the external voltage regulator. It is the alternator exciter wire.

The two small brown wires in the right center are for the brake warning light. The two green wires are for the temperature warning hot light. One comes from the engine temp sender and the other one goes to the cluster plug for the temp light. Those two switch terminals are grounded when the key is turned to start to test the two bulbs.

2. Is it possible to get the bigger brown ACC wire from the new switch to function like it would in a 68-72?
Where would I route this ACC wire to?
It is probably already routed to the fuse panel unless you didn't have one in the first place.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote