View Single Post
Old 12-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
Freddo

Re: Stripped bolt in valve cover. Best way to fix?

Thanks to each of you for your replies!
Tim: Yes, It's the head that has the bad threads and the bolt is the hold down bolt for the valve cover.
SuperCheyenne: Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to remove the valve cover and try what you suggest. (Couldn't get either bolt to thread with the valve cover on)...
I went to the local parts store this morning. You were correct: This was a 1/4 inch by #20. Bolt length was 1 inch. The next size up the store had was 1 1/2 inch. I brought it home to try it. I also was able to clean up the bolt that came off the valve cover. (Once the threads were cleaned up, it looked great.) , But couldn't get the danged bolt to start.
I haven't had any experience with taps. I'm assuming that a decent parts store. (The fellow at the one I went to this morning had no experience with helicoils) could give some guidance? Can I buy a helicoil with 1/4 inch by #20 thread? From what I've seen, the outside thread on the helicoil is a specific size. Would I buy a tap with that specific size? Some mentioned a drill bit and I've seen some threads on epoxying in a helicoil. What is the best way to get this fixed so that it will hold?
My plan is to remove the valve cover again and do what is needed.
I know these are very basic questions and to some of you with more experience, probably a dumb question, but I appreciate your help and replies.

Last edited by Freddo; 12-16-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Freddo is offline   Reply With Quote