View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 12:23 AM   #11
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Francis the Tow Pig - 1949 GMC 250 Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter View Post
Well engine and tranny situation is sorted out, haha.

Found a smoking deal on an LQ4 6.0L and a Reman'd 4L80E, complete with all front drive accessories, starter, harness, pedal/TM, fuse box, air box, and harness. 137K on the engine, 20K on the tranny. Should be here Monday or Tuesday...I guess I better get the truck moved from Western NE to Northeast KS.

I'll put in a new oil pump and timing chain and swap the cam out for the BTR Stage 1 Truck Cam.
May I give a friendly suggestion? Do a compression test and depending on the results possibly a cylinder leakage test BEFORE you throw a cam in it? It's probably fine of course. I've heard nonig but good things about LS engines even with a couple hundred thousand miles on them, but you never know.

On my 81,000 LQ4 we gave it a light hone, new rings, cam, rod and main bearings, and yes I put a mildly warmed up cam in it. We'll see how all this turns out. Can't wait to see wht you do to yours. Best, Dan

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote