View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #13
OutlawDrifter

Re: Francis the Tow Pig - 1949 GMC 250 Dually

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm not a newcomer to modifying and building hot rods/cars/daily drivers/etc. The engine checks out good for leak down and compression, had these performed before money changed hands. The cam I have selected would be similar to an RV cam in a SBC. Lower lift and allows the use of stock LS6/LS2 springs and pushrods. It's about 1 step above a stock cam and idles without a lope. One issue with swapping to a heavier chassis is track width. If I were to go to a C30 chassis the front tires stick out of the fenders, not the look I'm going for. I have been planning this build for quite a long time, it has changed over the years from a wedgeback car hauler, to a hot rod, and back to a tow pig with a custom flatbed. The frame itself is beefy enough to handle what I intend to throw at it. This will not be a $100k show rig. It will be built with reliability and comfort in mind. My Z28 will run 11's in the 1/4 when I need to go fast and be obnoxious.

Hollister RD makes a bolt on front disc setup that works with the straight axle up front, and it uses GMT800 2500HD calipers. Independent suspension would be nice, but adds in more work than I really want to deal with. If I could find a chassis that had a close enough track width, that would be great. But I don't want to fabricate a bunch of mounts for the cab and front sheet metal, and then have to fab more to make the track width correct. I'd like to be able to pick up off the shelf (craigslist) wheels to run on this ole girl, and replace most of the steering with off the shelf parts for ease. 47Fasttoys, I followed your build on tech when you first started, and you've done an awesome job. You actually inspired me to build my own flatbed the way I want it.

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote