View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #55
lks dcvn

Re: Lks Dcvn - 1972 2WD Blazer Build

Finally an update 4+ months later.

I spent my limited free time over the past few months removing the rest of the non-metal parts (wiring harnesses, dash cluster, heater components, etc.) to prep the body for a media blast to see what lurks at the bare metal layer before digging into the resurrection.

Yesterday - the 2wd Blazer and several new parts were loaded into a trailer bound for TN. I also picked up another 2wd Blazer chassis to go with the tub sitting in my spare garage bay.

I coordinated to split the rest of the build between two different shops in 2017.

Body and chassis work - the plan is to take the original tub sitting on the chassis, media blast it and then determine the amount of work ahead to bring it back to solid metal.

I'm already aware of the following areas of concern:
  • new 71/72 front clip (fenders, hood, grill, bumper, etc.)
  • new pair of 72 blazer doors - moving over old OEM door internals
  • One piece front floor replacement
  • Cowl panel rust repair - still deciding on shaving the firewall/cowl trench
  • torsion box replacement
  • outer rocker replacement
  • B-pillar repair on both side - each with their own level of rust/rot
  • Replacement of both rear wheel tubs
  • Repair of rear floor near tailgate area
Chassis will be blown apart, media blasted and then powder coated matte black with all suspension components. Chassis will be given a 2.5/4" drop using ECE components that were shipped down with the truck, new front end suspension rebuild with Moog parts and cross member mods to allow the exhaust to tuck up closer to the body.

Paint will be the original 1972 524 Red-Orange and the bottom of the tub will be Line-X'd to prevent future wear and rusting. Still on the fence about having the inside done with Line-X as well as I'm not sure if I am going to do carpet or not yet. Thoughts from the group on if Line-X'ing the inside of the tub?

Next will be an American Autowire Update Series 510089 to make sure the wiring is up to snuff.

Top has cracking and the hatch struts need replaced - might go to gas struts here - and once complete - the top will be used sparingly so still not sure if I want to pursue a lot of work on the top yet.

Drivetrain - (Street Machinery) - After the body work, paint and chassis are complete - Boris and the gurus at Street Machinery perform the rest of the items on the blazer including:
  • LS motor install - including all cooling and fuel needs -
  • 4L60e/4L65e/4L80e install - depending on which LS gets installed
  • stand-alone LS harness
As for the extra 2wd blazer chassis/tub - I am going to start another build thread once I get that going...

Last edited by lks dcvn; 05-02-2019 at 02:50 AM.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote