View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #1
cerial

Removing 31 year old hub cap bolts.

I have a 87 v10 I am saving if it wants me to or not. Thing has been a Michigan truck all it's life and used as a plow/wood/fun truck with 103 orgional on the dash.
I know that number is orgional because it had orgional ignition parts, orgional u joints, wheel cylinders, starter, fuel tanks, and so on. The thing has sat being neglected for 31 years being driven a bit then parked off and on.

So I just finish the rear breaks this morning and go to do the front wheel bearings/rotors/hubs and those 31 year old Allen bolts are set in that oem hub. Hub works great I just have a bearing going out and figured might as well do the rotors.

So I put my little Allen on the bolt and the bolt just laughs. Get my "high torque" Allen's where you turn your wrist and the Allen is twisting 1/4 turn and the bolt is not moving. Ok. Get my wheel screw tool for removing the rusted wheel screw that uses a Philip or such head and put the correct he bit in there and wack it and the bolt stripped. Time to ask for help.

Seems every bolt I have had to grind the head off or extract. But with these screws I am kind of lost in how to get them off I don't want to destroy the manual locking selectior it is the only part of the hub assembly I don't want to replace. Despite probably being dry the thing works great. But if that is the only option then recommendations on doing that right would be appreciated.

Options?
1985 K20 Winter beater
1991 R30(squarebody) c/c flatbed towrig
1994 s10 80"wb custom build
cerial is offline   Reply With Quote