View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
focusedontheprize

1949 Chevy 3100 - the journey begins

First, I want to say you guys have a phenomenal forum here. I have been only reading it for a few weeks now, but you guys are quite good at what you do and are very helpful. Props to all you guys.

Picked her up in Minnesota and had her shipped back to NY. It has been a bit of a feat trying to find a AD truck in NY that is in good shape and a reasonable price. Finally found her back in January.

She is a 1949 Chevy 3100. It originally was a farm truck in Nebraska with a 216 4 speed still in it. The truck is pretty solid and I am very happy with the purchase.

Here is the goal: I want to have it driving by July 4th. My plans are to:

- Lower the truck
Front: 4" drop axle - probably go with Sid from droppedaxles.com
Rear: 4" lowering blocks with stock leafs

- Change the drivetrain
After doing a bit of reading, I am seeing the 216 isn't that great of a motor to go with because of the splash "oil trough" system. My goal is to stay with the inline 6 (I would really like a 292) and I am matching it up with an S10 5 speed.

- Swap out the front drums for discs
This seems to be a feat if I do not want to go with a kit and I want to keep the 6 lug setup.

Other than that, I want to drive her how she looks. I love the look of these trucks and would like to keep it mostly stock (straight axle and such).

I definitely will have a bit of questions for you guys, but July 1st is my goal to take my first drive

Here is a few pictures of her:
Attached Images

focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote