Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 09:19 AM   #1982
robnolimit

Re: Make it handle

OK OK. A little MII rack info. MII (Mustang II and Pinto) started in '71. the '71-'73 pinto units were the lightest, mostly manual, and prized by drag racers. - Not good for us. The '74-78 MII and 74-81 Pinto we're a little better, but had different mounting than the early racks. These were "Low Pressure" racks, designed for under 800 psi pumps. As a result, when used in hot rods and custom cars with SBC canister pumps, and later the Type II GM pumps, the steering seamed 'flighty' and 'light' - and there were a lot of leaking problems. The aftermarket responded with reduction valves for these pumps, available from Speedway, Hiedts, Summit, ….. and some special built pumps from places like KRC and Turn One. Later, the Fox, SN95 and T-Birds (all '88-'94 span) moved to a rack designed for High Pressure pumps. and the GT racks had a faster ratio.
- BTW, I don't like to use "Ratio" numbers like 12-1 or 10-1, because nobody really knows what this does. I like to know A) Turns lock to lock, and B) Inches of throw L/L. Such as 5.5" @ 2.62 turns. - That's information I can actually use.
I have used the Flaming River MII rack, it is good for high pressure and has 6" throw in 2.75 turns. I have not used the DSE rack, but I am sure it is a good piece, my guess is that the ratio (throw vs. turns) is about the same.
The big issue for Rob Fisher (and others) is that the IFS is based on a C10 spindle, with a 7" long steering arm. OE C10's used 6.9" of throw to go lock to lock. So, a rack with 5.5" or 6" will not turn the spindle as far. (Less steering angle) The long arm does make it easier to turn, requiring less effort from the pump. If you want a true Hi Perf. rack that will go 7+"with a fast ratio, you may need to go to Howe, Sweet or Woodward for a Servo-Drive power rack. If this sounds expensive, it is. Easy 1G+ for a rack with no rods or ends. - And, you will have to build new mounts. - Probably not worth it, as it still doesn't fix the C10 geometry.
If you are in this boat, head to O'Rielly's or Advanced, and get a '94 Fox GT rack. Use adapter fittings from Maxim Motorsports and go drive it.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote