View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #60
skorpioskorpio

Re: Blazer half cabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLONG View Post
Yes I guess that is what it is called.
You should check, there is ink print which fades faster, dye sublimation and resin transfer. Resin transfer is durable but is a surface application on the vinyl and any scratches or nicks will be white. There is also a process where the vinyl is actually multiple solid colors fused together, but that is made on equipment that is way beyond what a typical local sign shop has. The most common is, or at least was, ink and it's the cheapest, but has a outdoor life expectancy of only about 18-36 months and is what is used typically on bus wraps where the wraps are changed often, they can also be over wrapped in clear which makes them more durable but not that much more fade resistant. The fused process is used on semi trailers and applications where high UV and abrasion resistance and long life span is required, but I don't think the resulting product is flexible enough to do a wrap, and it's by far the most expensive of the options.

Anyway, this is all what the situation was a few years back and might have changed some, but I doubt by much if it has, you should check before you commit. It would really suck to go through all the effort and have it look like crap a year or so later. Your truck looks pretty capable of getting dirty and you'll want to make sure it's also capable of being scrubbed down and cleaned.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote