View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #71
BSRL

Re: Blazer half cabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckeez View Post
Really,, I saw his steel mockup in a shop owned by a guy I used to work with--there were no molds.

the molds of other stuff I saw were not reinforced with any kind of bracing to provide integrity or were they anywhere near the right thickness, there were Ferrari replica stuff that were only 3/16" for front end molds--all that kind of big stuff has to be done correctly to make sure they stay in the right shape.

the guy he had running the shop say'd "we make about one of these a month" -I had to check myself from busting out laughing, No one is selling one of those a month--no way, especially having some shop sub stuff,,, when he went into the next room I went over and tapped it with my finger--just the steel copy of what he watched me do when I started the project-- with a buddys roof clip ---> in Bruces garage.
he lost patience and would not let me get the model to the stage where I could take it to my shop to finish, I ended up having to spend 3.5 mos driving 1 1/2 hrs away to the other guys house and finish the model-- and build the molds for the Blazer Sport Top on his 72.

ill never do projects like that one again--only stuff im into.

Thanks for the input. I was told that the first mold failed because it was to light. I remember reading that someone had molds here in Nebraska. I have a local manufacturer considering producing them for me, I just hate to eat 10 of them if they in fact decide that 10 is their minimum production number.
They aren't cheap but I'd really like to have on. Is there any interest out there?
BSRL is offline   Reply With Quote