View Single Post
Old 05-20-2017, 02:20 AM   #22
El Dorado Jim

Re: sm 465 popping out of gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILT4ME View Post
Well, we made the decision to pull both the transmission and transfer case and have them rebuilt.

We COULD rebuild them ourselves, but we have too many other irons in the fire right now.

What pushed us over the edge was that I was under the truck and discovered that the transfer case rear output shaft bearing case was leaking and there was no oil in the unit. Also, after looking at how blown-out the rear differential was on this truck, ALL that same wear and tear has gone through the trans and T-Case.

Since the popping out of gear thing is SOOO annoying and leaks are also annoying, we decided to do it. The engine is out, the DS are off, there is no exhaust in the way.....It will take us less than half the time to do it now as to do it later.

I dropped them as a unit last night by myself in the driveway in 2-1/2 hours and I'm slow. I didn't realize that together, they are at least 500 lb. So, that was a bit of a challenge laying on my back trying to push around something that weighs more than I do. I didn't use a transmission jack, but a floor jack and some ratchet straps across the frame, and I still have all my fingers.......

Going back in should also only be a couple hours since we can go straight up and not have to worry about the tunnel and the interior.

I'm estimating about $1100 to have the two rebuilt including labor and parts (total for both)

Also, we found a shop in Topeka, KS that does LOTS of rebuilds and customs in 4x4's and prices are reasonable.

4x4Land.com

Mike let us look around for about 2 hours one Saturday in ONE of his 4 warehouses. He has NP205's and complete axle assemblies stacked on pallets and racks covering the walls and shelves. I was very impressed. Jeeps are his bread and butter, but his personal vehicles have been the 67-72 Chevy's.
good call, you will be glad you had them rebuilt,glad you could afford it , will save you alot of work if you had to pull them later... I just dont have the money to have them done at a shop...
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote