View Single Post
Old 04-28-2019, 04:11 PM   #166
44boggers

Re: American in Austria 83 Build

Now one more thing to discuss which is a big concern of mine. I was measure the wheel base when I noticed the driver side is around 3/4" to 1" shorter the pass side. This was a bit of a surprise to me because when i drove the truck prior to taking it apart it drove straight and there were no issues. BUT the frame was cracked at the steering box and there were a **** load of shims on the driverside A arm. I dont ever remember the driver side wheel looking like it was not centered in the wheelwell.

For anyone actually reading this thread (maybe im just writing thoughts down at this point but either way). It just occurred to me that maybe, just maybe the reason why my wheel base is off side to side is because I had the entire front crossmember out of the frame when i powder coated. When I bolted everything back together I never thought to check if the engine crossmember was bolted up square. If it was not bolted up square then I think that could throw my wheelbase squareness out of whack because my A arms are bolted to the engine crossmember. So if i bolted it just a bit out of square that could be enough to through the wheel base measurments off. I am not sure how much adjustment there actually is but I think I remember there being enough to fudge the numbers.

Any thoughts? I wonder how easy it will be to actually move all that with the motor sitting in there. Its worth a try and really the only thing i can think of which could cause this, because there was not any damage at the A arms, only the crack at the steering box, but that shouldnt mess with the wheelbase since it is in front of the suspension.

We will see
44boggers is offline   Reply With Quote