View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 09:44 PM   #1
HomeMadeSin

Inflation and Taxation

Circa 1986 or so, I had to register my 1972 VW Beetle for a small amount. I don't recall the exact amount, but it was within my means on a minimum wage Burger King job. I do recall later getting a REFUND from the DMV for $2.44 - they had charged me too much.

Fast forward to my 1967 C-20 project. The previous owner had lost the title and just mailed me a new one. So, as prepared as I could be, I head down to the local DMV office to get it titled in my name. I was not going to do any upgrades until I had everything legit.

For reference, here are some pics of the C20 that I paid $500 for:

Well as everyone knows, the DMV has wised up to the shysters that claimed a lower purchase price than reality and use fair market value. I truly paid $500 for this and even showed the clerk pictures to validate it. It's clearly not ready to menace the streets just yet, so I just had to pay a whopping $23! That was an early Christmas present.

I had to travel to Canada later that week but got a call from the County that they incorrectly calculated the fee. The lowest fair market value for a 1967 fleetside V8 C-20 was....$27,000. The high fair market value is $68,000.

So, they came up with some modified amount that I have to pay the day after Christmas (first day we are both available) and only after that can I petition to have someone come out and look at the truck. I simply can't wait.

I told them if they think it is worth $27,000, I will sell it on the spot for half that amount....

Where are they getting these numbers? Barret-Jackson?!?

Z
HomeMadeSin is offline   Reply With Quote