View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 06:49 PM   #26
Mack B

Re: So I ran out of gas. I think. Maybe.

Alright, I've taken this ol turd out every weekend since this occurred and put a few miles on it pretty uneventfully. Christmas Day on a stretch of highway it started feeling like I was pulling a heavy load, I was at my destination before I could investigate further, but I did take the gas cap off when I stopped the truck. Truck probably sat for an hour, when I left it fired right up and ran fine the rest of the trip.

Today. I took the truck out for a drive. After I warmed it up with some spirited driving the problem came back full force. Under load in 4th gear the truck stopped accelerating. I reached out and removed the gas cap. No change. I came to a stop. Fuel pressure at the carb was 5.5-6 psi. When I got back on the road it was the same in every gear, it was like I was pulling a super heavy load. I couldn't go above 2,000 rpm. Roughly 45mph. No backfiring, or missing. Just failure to thrive. I limped it home. Tried unplugging the vacuum advance, no change. Checked timing, no change. It will crank, idle, rev, even move around the yard fine. I checked the plugs, they are light tan.

Cliffs:
Problem came back after 10 mile cruise, again after high rpm romp
Not gas cap
7" of fuel in tank
5.5 psi of fuel at carburetor
Plugging vacuum advance didn't change anything

This sound like anything in particular?
Incase it wasn't mentioned earlier the truck has an hei distributor
Mack B is offline   Reply With Quote