View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #12
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: 383 stroker kit questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
I'm not a super big fan of external balance - it works for sure and it's OK for a towing engine that's never going to see serious R's...but it is not a performance engine approach.
Got a buddy of mine that has a '67 Chevelle with a P.A.W. 383 stroker long block in it... I had to tear it down for him right after he bought the car. Previous owner installed the External Balanced engine with the Internal balanced 350 flex plate and damper.

It ended up eating some of the main bearings and the vibes were horrible. He wanted to rebuild it with all brand internals. I tried to steer him toward an internally balanced kit from Skat. Pricey, but worth it...

He opted for some kit from Ebay to save money... Then come to find out, the new rods and crank he got were not clearance for the stroker kit, and the block from P.A.W. was clearanced poorly. So more machining, because he refused to use the rods that were already clearanced.

Needless to say... I put it together for him... the way he wanted... and told him, that when it comes apart, or you have problems later on. Don't come crying to me.

Now I'm not sayin' that I have deep pockets and expect everybody to pony up a lot of cash for BRAND NAME parts... but ya just gots to be careful of what you are gettin'.

I have learned tons from Ticker and cableguy here in the "Engines" forum in the last year, and it has been great! I've been building SNC's for a while, and it's nice to learn new tricks.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; 07-02-2010 at 04:41 PM.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote