View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 02:30 AM   #6
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Ignition Switch Wiring - A do over

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Thanks Vette. This cab is nearly stripped less wiring, windows and gas tank. The NSS is left hanging, and I'll look into it tomorrow, thank you.

After I wrote the above I thought no, that purple wire is probably not why my reverse lights didn't work. Speak of wires I'm green. Speak of purple wire, it's my understanding the ignition switch had two purple wires for automatics. Mine had one, for the solenoid. What am I missing?

I only know of one from the factory, looking at the wiring diagram, it shows a solid purple wire and a dotted line purple wire which represented the purple wire for the manual transmissions. Seeing both of them might be where the confusion comes from.

Someday I may quiz you on HEI. I've always heard 10 gauge wire was a must, but judging by a few posts, including yours, doesn't appear necessary.
There''s been a debate on the size wire to use on the HEI distributors. As you
know they require a full 12 volts to work properly. Any chart you can find will show that 12 awg is big enough to carry the current they will draw without any significant voltage drop.Some guys like to use a 10 awg but it's overkill IMO. Also there's a debate about using a fuse in the wire. It's OK too but the factory never did. I've heard some guys say you have to use a 30 amp fuse to avoid resistance which I say is BS cause there is no resistance in any fuse that I've ever measured.

One of the biggest mistakes that a lot of guys make is to just use the old coil + wire, without realizing that it is a resistor wire, and will drop the voltage to the HEI coil to about 9 volts, which may fire the distributor but it'll be a weak spark. Then they get misfires and hard starts and other problems.

There's about three ways to wire up the HEI.
1. Solder a new wire into the pink wire on the key switch.
2. replace the resistance wire in the engine bay at the firewall block.
3. run a new wire from the fuse panel IGN Unfused terminal on the fuse panel to the distributor.

You can't cut the pink wire if you solder the HEI wire into it cause it also feeds the fuse panel. Check the diagram below. Follow the pink wire 5th from the top down to the junction dot and one leg goes left to the inside of the firewall block to the resistance wire and the other leg goes down to the fuse panel and then over to the dash cluster plug for the gauges.

Name:  Copy of Cab-1web.jpg
Views: 2081
Size:  115.0 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote