View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 03:42 PM   #4
trukman1

Unhappy Re: Why are the rear wheels on a 1975 Blazer inset

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
almost all vehicles have the rear narrower than the front to cut the turning circle / radius down .

matched front / rear width = 5 acre field to turn around .

rear narrower by just a few inches cuts down the size of the circle = 3 acre field to turn around .

if you dont need to turn tight or just want the looks ad a 1.5" spacer to each side is what most guys have done for years .

if your hard core builder some guys find van axles can be wider over truck axles on some models .

i have a van width 14ff 1 ton rear under a truck and its 70" wheel mount to wheel mount . my dana 60 1ton front is 69" w-w mount so now i am 1/2" narrow on each side in the front . but the look is so much better .
Finally an answer to the question I've pondered for decades!

How much worse is the turn radius with the van rear? I gave my '67 P/U, with the same axle setup, to my son but we were looking to get a van rear diff for the same reason (looks better.)

Funny thing, I found a guy selling a van rear and he asked why I wanted it since my truck was really sharp. I told him and he suddenly didn't want to sell it! (Won't tell the next guy!) LOL!