View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 01:45 PM   #6
FAKKY

Re: 4l60e/4l65e/4l70e 4WD to 2WD shaft swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPup1977 View Post
You do not have to remove the linkage to go any further into the trans...

Once you remove the snap ring from the front 5 pinion planet you should be able to pull the front planet, 3/4 clutch hub, sun shell, and sun gear out of the case...the output shaft will come out at this time.

You can pull the snap ring for the center support to check the sprag and the low and reverse clutches/steels.

watch for the anti clunk spring between the case and center support.....having fun !!!
Thanks for confirming on the shift linkage.
Snap ring for shaft might be my stalling point - dont have any lock ring pliers - might run out and see if I can find some. Its tight in there.

Thoughts on the amount of clutch material - seems about normal - but not a lot of reference points. Was just going to check 3/4 clutches ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPup1977 View Post
Just want to add a note here to indicate that you don't have to remove the VB to change out the output shaft, some may want to install a shift kit to improve the trans which requires the VB to be removed...but if you are "only" changing the output shaft the VB does not have to be removed....Thanks.
Good tip. Wasnt 100% sure because of some of those longer bolts through VB ...... but also thought I might end up replacing more than I think basically a full rebuild with all clutches depending how it rurns out with confidence level and making a few tools.