View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 10:03 PM   #1
americanmusc1e

building a 49 Chevy 3800 for towing/hauling

I recently inherited this old farm truck. It's a 49 3800 single wheel that used to have a stake bed on it. Since it's already a 1-ton I'm looking to convert it into a hauler that I can haul parts/cars with. The heaviest I'm looking to tow would be my C10 (4000lbs without trailer). I know this truck has probably moved that much weight before, but i'm looking to do it safer and at higher speeds. The speed limits on Texas interstates are 75+mph and I'll get run over going 40-55mph. I've got a pretty good idea of what I want to do for engine, transmission and rear axle. I'm stuck on the front axle and front brakes.

I hate front drums. I know they can stop well, but they require constant adjustment to stop straight. I also know that there aren't really any good ways to convert my front axle (3600 and 3800) to disc. One way is to convert to a 3100 front axle but then I'm using Camaro discs and calipers for towing. That doesn't seem right. Are there any more heavy duty options available? I have a jeep ZJ front dummy axle that I could weld leaf perches onto, but the brakes are no bigger than Camaro brakes.

What other considerations should I be taking? I'm open to ideas. Right now I'm in the early planning stages.

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote