View Single Post
Old 06-22-2018, 06:06 PM   #23
Wgesnerjr

Re: Seat with headrests

No Worries about the hijack. It would have been my next question.

Progress so far. Got the back part unbolted and the cover off. Then washed in my 36 gallon utility sink.

First Wash: Used all hot water and dawn dish soap for the first wash. Agitated with a piece of PVC as I was scared to touch the water. Water turned from Gray to Dark Gray to Hudson River Brown!!! Gross!!!

Second wash: Same as first, hot water, Dawn, Agitate....Gray, Dark Gray, Brown.

Third wash: Hot water, Clorox 2 and Tide, Agitate....Gray only.

It was 11:00 pm so I gave up for the night. Draped it over a sawhorse in the driveway and left it to drip dry and Georgia Sunlight the next day.

Results, looks 75% better smell is down to just nicotine. The part under the headrests is a darker gray so there is considerable fading.

The Foam has been sprayed with copius amounts of Lysol. Next is Frebreeze.

This will good enough to put back on and cover with the cheap burlap horse blanket cover.

Next will be the seat cushion. I refuse to use either the bottom foam piece or the bottom cover for fear of Hepatitis B. So I have ordered a New Foam piece off of eBay as listed above. (since it's payday and all)

Once that is installed, I will just put the burlap over the new foam and let it ride until I can afford a real custom cover from an upholstery shop. Until then, I will save the bottom cover for a template but will hermitically seal it in plastic, never to be opened in my presence ever again.

Will take pics of the washed cover this weekend and post.

Also, When I took the back seat off the bottom, I did not take pictures of the all the hardware. Once loosened, it all hit the floor and bounced it all directions. DOH!!! So no I am trying to figure out how it goes back together. I have a message on the 88 and up section so hopefully I can get some pics of it assembled over there.
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote