View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 10:22 PM   #12
PGG

Re: My K/5 Bikini Top

Love it wish mine was white. I am wanting to make a hard bikini top out of a damaged hardtop. I did a open side one before (posted somewhere on here) and post it here but it developed some cracks and I am worried if it blew off I would kill someone. I might just cut it after the roll bar now have not decided. PG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCreek View Post
I just wanted to post an example of what I've done. Maybe it will serve as a motivation. It took me years to get around to it!

I took one of robs71k5 fiberglass windshield headers and used it to mount a bikini top. I initially planned to use snap ring connectors but instead used heavy duty velcro tape and sewed it onto the top and taped it to the header. I suppose that if you have a soft topper and Rob's header you could match up the snaps and install one of your own bikinis. If the velcro is not strong enough I will add some snaps but it doesn't appear necessary at this time.

I took water resistant/UV resistant outdoor canvas and UV resistant nylon thread and sewed this up at home with 1" straps. I added some plastic disconnects and a metal strap mount. The strap mount connects to my rear roll bar anchor point. The plastic disconnects allow for tighter tension. I, also, used a couple of strap locks to keep them from loosening. (not pictured)

It needs a little fine tuning but I'm happy.

The ride is much nicer up front. The amount of wind is really cut down. I can drive without sunglasses on now. Before that, there was way too much wind/dust that would get in my eyes. The shade is nice, too.
PGG is offline   Reply With Quote