View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #17
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Re: 1972 Highlander -The making of a daily driver

Few more updates:

Installed Retrobelt three-point belts for driver/passenger side. Want to make sure whichever grandchild is riding with me, that they are safe.

Boston Acoustic 6.5's installed with kick panels. Had to do some trimming on both panels to fit. Wonder if people that make these ever installed a set? Once the kickpanels were trimmed and test fitted, used it as a template to cut out two sheets of fatmat. Installed one on the kick panel "area" and another on the back of each kick panel, since we have quite a bit left over (ordered two rolls, 100 ft).

Moved the emergency brake over about 1.5 inches to clear the driver kick panel with plenty of room. State inspection here requires emergency brake to work and don't want any hassle at renewal.

Have to admit, the Retrosound deck and these speakers really sound good. I have an Alpine deck and JL Audio amp and speakers in my '78.

Received a mail for a political donation that had this flag in it. Had already donated, and cannot toss out something so dear to me, so decided to find a place in the truck for it.

Polished out the glass on the rear window. It had a ton of grime and apparently some overspray from the bed liner. Use glass cleaner and a razor blade on the outside, then polished it up. Tried a few different glass polishes, but I like the 3m rubbing compound best. Really cleaned the window up good.

The rubber seal on the back window had overspray from the poor paint job. I mentioned this product earlier in the thread:

It really brings back the black on rubber and plastic. Taped off the window and applied "forever black" around the rubber seal:

Yes, that's a "bird bomb" just above the window. I may wet sand the truck later on to see if I can bring some shine to the paint job.

Center seat belt. Applied some "forever black" to it, small foam brush.

Was going to save this next photo till the end, but waiting on new seat covers so we can install the seat. Received word today they won't be shipped till next week and also have some AC parts on order to get the AC working, so we're in standby mode.

Since we cannot discuss politics here (and I really don't have the desire to and respect that decision), I'll just say "a picture is worth a thousand words." My favorite upgrade on the truck!

Picked up the '72 plates when I first bought the truck and registered/tagged the truck with them. No hassle when registering the plates.

Also got the 67-72 face plate in for the Retrosound deck and installed, but didn't get a pic of it yet.

More to follow as remaining parts come in. I could use a few days of rest!
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote