View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #24
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Re: 1972 Highlander -The making of a daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Very nice progress! Seat cover looks great! Love that black and white houndstooth
Thanks! So close to being back on the road. Almost ready to go down and get rejected for state inspection sticker! I never can seem to pass on the first try with any older vehicle. If it passes first try, I'm buying lottery tickets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Looks great! Not looking forward to my own ac adventure. Hope it's all you want it to be when it's done. Are you gonna put a 700r4 in?
Posted via Mobile Device
I appreciate your support and advice through the build. I've considered going to a 700r4. I work at home (software developer) so I really don't get out and drive much. Plans are, to use the truck for runs to Home Depot, Lowes, quick trips to get a bite to eat and most importantly, take my grandon(s) (one is five, the other is four) to the lake and teach them how to fish.

I really like this truck. It "feels" right when I'm in it, like you could drive across the country in it. If I do end up driving it more than expected, I'll probably put a 700r4 in it with a lockup. I do have one in Pancho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Oh yeah, when are we gonna see Pancho out laying stripe? I think a family pic is in order!
Posted via Mobile Device
I plan to tackle that when this one is finished, which should be pretty soon. Pancho's biggest problem has been a combination of procrastination and my fear of working on motors. I'm NOT a motor builder guy. I over-analyze things when it comes to the motor and I've never built one on my own.

The first motor in Pancho was built by a shop when we lived in Amarillo. 383 with decent cam, but stock heads. When we moved to San Angelo, I came across a guy that really knew his stuff with building motors, so would come over and work on the truck for me and swapped out the stock heads for AFR 195 heads (which was so unbelievable on the performance gain...scary!).

When I ordered the heads, he suggested bumping the cam up. At the time, I didn't know how much of a bump it was, but he put in a Lunati bracket racing cam. It was too big, too lumpy and I fought to keep the truck running, even after adjusting idle a dozen times.

So, I did my own research and that's when I discovered the truck was really setup more for bracket racing (according to cam specs). I bought a retro roller cam (from comp - XE 264) next. He started working on it, but faded out. He'd come by once a month, every other month, and so now Pancho sits in the garage. Heads and cam ARE back in, but I'm nervous about the work done. Some tension before he finally stopped coming back over.

I may just bite the bullet and go back through it myself. I don't get out much here, so I don't know any good engine guys that could help me. I bought a engine building DVD from CFA services. I really want to learn it. I don't like relying upon others.

Well, off to see if I can pull a charge on the ac system. This will be a first, too! I've researched the AC system on this truck for the past few weeks, saved notes, put together an "order list" and saved a dozen bookmarks with specific info. Been going through all those saved notes and list the past day or so, taking things in order and hoping all the research will pay off. I'm determined to know and understand this, so I can take care of things myself.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote