View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: 250" I6, Astro T5 OD Trans Total Bolt In/All GM Off the Shelf Parts 1965 C10 SBSS

Ebrake modification so you can drop the cross member for the install and then put it back up under the frame once the T5 is done. Here is the modification only, reinstall follows in the next post.

Started this swap by removeing the four rivets from the Ebrake crossmember. We then accelerated the T5 swap project by crackin 4 pistons in the motor but that's a separate story.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Took a look at the e-brake cross member and figured might as well get it ready for removal since it'll be in the way when I go to set in the new T5 from below.

Ground off and drilled out the rivets, one at a time since this is a daily driver truck and replaced the rivets with bolts, nuts and washers. Its easier to grind and drill than to try to pop the rivits out after grinding....there's enough boing in the crossmember to make tappin the rivet shaft and head out a slow painful process...so after doin that on the first one, I ground and drilled vice grind and SmashWack.

But, lookin it over from the drivers side...as needed I can put a small knotch in the crossmember and drop it just a bit over 1". Still clearing the exhaust pipe.
Name:  VEA6KoJ.jpg
Views: 3606
Size:  33.6 KB

On the passenger side....nothing in the way so as needed I can drop the member here more than an inch. That would put the crossmember on a slant but its no show truck and its not dropped either. If one inch left and one inch right will clear it though, that's what I'll prefer to do.
Name:  0BTCpHZ.jpg
Views: 3552
Size:  31.9 KB

Last edited by Sharps40; 12-12-2013 at 08:11 PM.