Thread: Alternator
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 02:58 PM   #5
ShinyC10

Re: Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
I tend to agree with you that the alternator stud was what blew the fuse and it may still be the culprit. You may have damaged the diode pack in the alternator which could provide a short to ground in the alternator output circuit.

I say this because you have not had major damage out of the battery supply circuit after the fuse blew, (the engine continued to run but the voltage dropped). Obviously the voltage will drop after the alternator quits charging, but the thing to note is that the fusible link didn't melt after the alternator was out of the picture. I would take a voltage reading on the alternator output and make sure it wasn't overcharging and also that none of the diodes were shorted out.

Based on what you've said, I think you've isolated the problem to the alternator. I'm not sure that Autozone or any of the other auto parts stores could test it and determine that it was bad. It should show up as overcharging or shorting with their equipment and the test is free so it might be worth the effort.

Thanks again for responding,
I took the alt to orielly's to have it tested but they didn't know how to test it. The alt is a 140a Summitracing brand and it has no part number on it so they didn't know how to run the test. he said that since it didn't come with the truck that the system wouldn't know how to test it. That's what he told me.

As for the diodes, I know they sell rebuild kits for alts but where would I get one for a 140amp? On another thread someone listed a link in their post but it was for like a 60 and 90 amp alt
ShinyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote