View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #92
sparkydog

Re: Porsche 944: Actually there is a substitute

Good news:
If all I had was 2D to fit the Mustang engine bay into the 944 I would be a lucky guy. From a bird's eye POV the graft will go well. The 944 and Mustang firewalls are almost at the exact same location. The Mustang inner fenders and strut towers give me more motor clearance yet fit inside the envelope of the 944's hood footprint. The Mustang and 944 floors are almost exactly the same height relative to the wheel CL.

More good news:
Even in 3D I have most of the issues going my way. As mentioned the floor heights are almost the same. The Mustang frame horns are approximately the same height as the 944. I think I am going to be able to keep enough of the 944 firewall and trans tunnel so that I may be able to re-use the 944's HVAC module. I think I will keep some of the 944 firewall and use the mouth of the 944's bell housing section of the fire wall but mod/replace the section just aft of the mouth so that there is more room for the GM tranny.

Bad news:
The Mustang strut towers are 3.5" taller (at stock ride height) than the 944. I was hoping to shoot the moon and do about a 1" body drop while I was at it so if I tried this too then the strut towers are 4-5" too tall to clear the 944 hood.

After 3 hrs of staring and schemeifications I have some ideas but before I belch them out - does anybody have suggestions on how I can get 4" out of the Mustang's strut length?
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote