View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 11:57 AM   #86
HunterRotten

Re: The Hawaiian Blue 1978 GMC.

HUNTER'S 1978 GMC C15 SIERRA BUILD THREAD

Time for the next little installment, the continuation of dual tanks. As always, it took a bit of research on our part in order to get all of the correct parts. I am planning to use the new Holley Sniper EFI unit on the new engine and that complicated the whole thing a little more than expected.

I bought tanks and sending units off of Rock Auto. These are for 1987 trucks so they have the baffle in the tanks. (it looks like a disposable turkey pan) The point of the baffle is so that the electric fuel pumps will always have fuel around them. They were Spectre brand and really reasonably price, made in Canada.

Part # SQ GM11C for the tanks (Rockauto)
Part # SQ FG05M & SPE FG05N for the sending units (Rockauto)

I then did some research and decided that walbro 255 LPH pumps would work for me. (Part # GSS342 on Amazon.) I also got two little installation kits that were really useful.

Some other minor things I got from rock auto was passenger side tank straps since mine were a little rough. The driver side tank brackets and straps I got from KrazyRay blew my mind and were in great shape. I didn't even paint them.

The tanks went on pretty straight forward, holes were already on the frame. I used some anti squeak tape on the straps, but it really didn't want to stick due to the tanks wax coating.

There was some wiring to be done on the sending units. The '87 plugs were no where near the same as the ones on the pumps, as you can see in the follow pictures. So, we replaced all of the electrical in the sending unit with the wire that came with the installation kit from amazon.

One thing to note is that we had to "dimple" the bottom of the tanks so that the electric fuel pump wouldn't rattle against the tank and cause an annoying resonance.
HunterRotten is offline   Reply With Quote