View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 06:26 AM   #218
matti

Re: 700R4 build thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyv69ragtop View Post
I've got a couple of questions RE my rebuild. Maybe some of you have experienced the same thing.
1. I have the transgo separator plate and since I have the auxiliary valve body I need to use those aluminum slugs to block two of the holes. Well, after the first plug shot across the garage into oblivion after I hit it with a hammer, I used a punch to seat the second one. Now that I still have to plug one hole and I don't have another aluminum plug, does you have any thoughts for what else I could use to plug the hole?

2. Ive got my eye on a used shift shaft with the nut on ebay but I'm wondering if a regular grade 5 nut would suffice instead of the original black nut with the grooves cut in it.

any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!
Hey, I had to install both of these slugs according to transgo instructions. Well what happened few weeks after .. The shift lever jammed in way that I was not able to put it in manual low or 2. Drive zones, reverse, park and neutral worked fine. I cleaned the valvebody and assembled it back. After I had installed it back I found one of these two slugs swimming at bottom of my oil pan. I had to test it and it worked fine, I did not notice any changes in shift behavior. I will of course put it back sooner or later just in case, or I will just buy another separator plate and hope better luck.

So my recommendation to you; make sure you hit it hard and right way there so you don't have to take it apart again. I think I did and yet it did not want to stay in its place.

Does some of you happen to know if these slugs have great importance for proper working of this transmission? Or what these slugs actually do ? I am wondering if I will destroy my transmission driving without one slug, and I don't know yet which one it is.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote