View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 04:08 AM   #5
chevy3100truck

Re: #minijimmygmc Wifey's 1990 K5 Jimmy rebuild

Next up - getting the seat mounts in for the 2005 Yukon Denali rear seat. This was a split 3rd row that I picked up off of craigslist. One of the issues with a 1990/91 K5 that separates it from the earlier ones is that the rear seats have 3 point seat belts with an attachment on the roof. Basically - you can't take the roof off and have seatbelts.... (and using 2 point belts in the back would lead to issues if we ever had to take it through inspection).

Being as my wife wanted a K5 for the ability to have the roof off we needed a different solution for summer time. The Yukon seats with built in 3-points were the best solution, and being leather was a bonus for sure. It helps that they are about the perfect width for sitting between the wheel wells on a K5.

These pics just show the patching where the old seat mounts were, but there are 1/8" thick steel plates underneath the floor spanning all the way across the tub under both rows of mounting brackets - if the seats come out they are taking the entire floor with it. Where the floor is raised there are spacers between the floor and the steel backing plate, I wasn't going to try to make the backing plate conform with the corrugated floor.

Name:  IMG_3263.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  50.3 KB
Name:  IMG_3269.jpg
Views: 1962
Size:  44.5 KB
Name:  IMG_3265.jpg
Views: 1599
Size:  39.6 KB

The front seats are out of a 2001-2007 Chevy Silverado for now, picked up some cloth power seats for $20, then found $12 in the console lol. Not the ones I want, I need to find 1999-2000 3-door truck seats that have the rear lever for tipping them forward, but the price was right. I actually took a pic of the steel backing pieces for underneath the floor for these seats, 2 pieces for each seat, bolted from the bottom to the factory seat mount bolt locations, and then the seats are bolted down from above through the floor and the 1/8" thick plates.
Name:  IMG_3261.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  40.7 KB
chevy3100truck is offline   Reply With Quote